Thursday, January 21, 2016

Chocolate Birthday Cake (Gluten Free/Dairy Free)


Okay Okay this picture doesn't do this cake justice. I decided to put Whipped "Cream" on top and it ended up melting all over the place. :)

This cake is awesome. It's hard to tell there isn't any flour in it. I made this for my husband's birthday and he loved it! We all ate for breakfast this morning. :) Yum!

Cake:
In a blender (I used my Vitamix) add:
1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed well
5 eggs (we used farm fresh)
1 Tbsp. Vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
3/4 C. Coconut Sugar (you could also use honey, maple syrup, agave, etc.)
5 Tbsp. Cacao Powder
Blend well for at least 1 minute. Use the wand.
Then add:
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
Blend for another 20-30 seconds 

Pour into 2 parchment lined and greased round cake pans.

Bake at 350 degrees 25 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
Cool for 10 minutes. Dump out of pans onto a cooling rack for another 10-15 minutes.
Frost.

For this recipe I made homemade 
Strawberry Chia Jam:
In a non-stick pot on the stove add:
3 C. Frozen Strawberries
Cook for 20 minutes on the stove. Mash with potato masher. Pour into a fine strainer for 10 minutes.
Poor back into pot and add:
1/4 C. Maple Syrup
2 Tbsp. Chia Seeds
Stir. 
Cook for another 10 minutes. 

Cool down to serve on cake. (This probably should be made while cake is baking). :)

Top with 
Whipped "Cream":
Place a can of Coconut Milk in the freezer for an hour or the fridge for 4-5 hours. 
Open it.
Scrape off the "Cream" (save the milk for future recipes)
Whip with beaters.
Add 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract & 2 Tbsp. raw honey, maple syrup, or coconut sugar.

I also drizzled some extra chocolate I had left over from my Peppermint Patties. 

Store this cake in the fridge until ready to serve. :)

Recipe by:
Me

Becky

P.S. I actual goofed while making this cake for the first time. I forgot to add the Cacao Powder. It was still delicious! Can you believe we still didn't taste the black beans. It was an awesome snack. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment