Thursday, February 4, 2016

Homemade Cashew Milk & Creamy Breakfast Smoothie



This morning I learned that Cashew Milk is one of the easiest nutmilks to make, because you don't have to strain it through a nutmilk bag. :) I have made it before, I have just forgotten that fact. To me it also tastes the creamiest out of all the milks. Mmmm. 

I grew up drinking 2% cows milk daily and my husband grew up on a dairy farm, so naturally he drank whole milk daily. 
We changed to drinking nut milks which wasn't easy, especially for my husband! Now we definitely prefer nut milk) because we heard that it isn't as hard on the body when it comes to digestion and phlegm production. Since we have made the switch we have noticed us getting sick less (We also eat a lot more produce and just eat healthier in general), especially with colds, ear infections, coughs, etc. Our digestion is great and none of us get constipated. (I know TMI :)
We still eat cheese every once in a while and we eat plain yogurt with probiotics regularly (it just digests differently than milk) that is sweetened with honey or Pure maple syrup.

If you haven't made the switch, I challenge you to try it for a week. There are so many healthy options out there when it comes to nondairy milks....Almond, cashew, coconut, rice, soy, etc. Our favorites are almond, cashew, & coconut.  If you don't like the way they taste try starting out with the Vanilla kind or add frozen fruit (bananas, blueberries, strawberries, etc.) and blend it into a fruit milk.

Anywho here are the recipes....
Cashew Milk:

1.5 C. Soaked cashews (I soak them in water for at least 2 hours, ideal is overnight) 

Drain & rinse.

5 C. Water
Blend until smooth (I used my Vitamix)

Optional: Add 1 Tbsp. Pure Vanilla Extract & 2 Tbsp. Raw honey or pure maple syrup.
Blend.

So creamy & delicious!! 


Breakfast Smoothie:
1.5 C. Cashew Milk
1 C. Cooked rolled oats
1 Tbsp. Cacao powder
1 Tbsp. Raw Honey or Maple Syrup

Blend.

Enjoy!


Recipes by:
Me

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment